Thursday, December 13, 2007

June 18, 2007 - "Soy Tico"

When we were in Sámara last year, the last day of Spanish class was spent on the culture of Costa Rica. We heard “Soy Tico,” and it has stuck with me as a beautiful description of “home” by someone who clearly loves Costa Rica. I found the lyrics, and took a stab at translating them – I'm sure it is not the best, but it was fun to do.

Titulo: Soy Tico
Letra y Música: Carlos Guzman

Soy Tico, porque llevo a Costa Rica en las entrañas, porque lloro cuando escucho una guitarra, cuando trema una marimba y con la puesta del sol.
I am Tico, because I carry Costa Rica in the core of my being, because I cry when I hear a guitar, when the marimba plays, and with the sunset.

Soy Tico y si me asomo a la ventana me cautiva la montaña y se me alegra el corazón.
I am Tico and if I look out the window, the mountain captures me, and my heart is joyful.

Soy Tico, porque siento las canciones de mi tierra; porque vivo con la "Luna Liberiana", "El Huellón de la Carreta", "La Patriótica", y "Pasión."
I am Tico, because I feel the songs of my land; because I live with the ¨Liberian Moon,¨ ¨The Cart Track,¨ ¨The Patriot,¨ and ¨Passion.¨

Soy Tico, y cuando miro la alborada, el lamento del yigüirro me acelera la emoción.
I am Tico, and when the I see the dawn, the call of the yigüirro (the national bird), makes my pulse race.

Y cuando caen los fuertes aguaceros es como si yo fuera la semilla me huele a tierra fértil el sendero llenando de ilusión mi alma sencilla.
And when the strong storms fall, I am like the seed outside, savoring the fertile field, filling my simple soul with dreams.

Soy Tico, porque cada vez que encuentro a un amigo forastero, le demuestro mi calor
I am Tico, because each time I meet a foreign friend, I demonstrate my warmth.

Soy Tico, porque vivo enamorado y orgullosos de la tierra que ha inspirado mi canción.
I am Tico, because I live infatuated and proud of the land that has inspired my song.

Y cuando caen los fuertes aguaceros es como si yo fuera la semilla me huele a tierra fértil el sendero llenando de ilusión mi alma sencilla.
And when the strong storms fall, I am like the seed outside, savoring the fertile field, filling my simple soul with dreams.

Soy Tico, porque una guaria morada me engalana la mirada y me impresiona de verdad
I am Tico, because a guaria morada (the national flower) enhances my view, and truly overwhelms me.

Soy Tico, y si eso no te dice nada yo te mostraré mi Patria.
¡dame la oportunidad!
I am Tico, and if this doesn´t convince you, I will show you my homeland. Just give me the opportunity!

No comments: