Strawberry Chicken serves 2 - 3 as a main course, or 3 - 4 as part of a multicourse meal. Modified for what is available in Costa Rica.
3/4 pound chicken breast, cut into pieces
12 - 15 fresh strawberries, washed and hulled, and cut into quarters
3 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
* 1 tablespoon soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon white wine
* 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 tablespoon orange juice
* 1 teaspoon limon juice
* 1 teaspoon granulated sugar or splenda
* 1 teaspoon cornstarch
* 2 or 4 teaspoons water, as desired
- Marinate the chicken for 15 minutes.
- Mix the sauce in a small bowl – use a lid and shake well to dissolve the cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add oil. When the oil is hot, add the minced garlic and ginger. Stir-fry about 10 seconds, then add the chicken. Let the chicken brown for about 30 seconds, then stir-fry the chicken until nearly cooked. Move to edge of pan.
- Add the strawberries. Stir-fry briefly (about 30 seconds), give the sauce a quick stir and add into the pan, stirring quickly to thicken.
- Serve immediately. Good over rice, with green beans (can add to partly-cooked chicken).