Thankfully, they included amazing sunsets!
Our Trip details:
- Our bus left from San Jose at 2:30. The normally 5 hour ride became 6 1/2 due to traffic and bridge repairs. Note that the published bus information is not up to date - currently, buses leave SJ (and Santa Elena) at 6:30 am and 2:30 pm. Buy your return tickets (assigned seats) from the boleteria half a block from the bus terminus. Cost = c2350 each
- All buses (including shuttles) stop/start from the North corner of Santa Elena town (it is a triangle).
- We stayed at the Swiss Hotel Miramontes, owned and run by Walter and Kathi Faisthuber (2645-5152 www.swisshotelmiramontes.com)
- The Santa Elena preserve is less crowded, but we braved the Monteverde preserve and didn't run into too many people :-). Entry cost = $5 for nationals (citizens and residents), $17 for tourists.
- Shuttle buses from Santa Elena town to both preserves run throughout the day. To Monteverde (old yellow schoolbus) is c600. To Santa Elena preserve is $2.