Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Zapote Cake with Rum Sauce

**********************


NOTE NOTE NOTE

I updated this recipe after a second experiment - use the one called "Zapote Cake with Carambola Sauce" instead - I promise, you'll like it better :-).

**********************


mmm mmm mmmmmmm - I *love* successful experiments!

Zapote Cake with Rum Sauce

Mix in a large bowl:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp soda
- 1/2 tsp salt

Mix in a smaller bowl:
- 2 Tbs melted butter
- 1 cup Zapote pulp*
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry, then add:
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup grated coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 cup raisins

Pour batter into 2 loaf pans, and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees (F) for 45-55 minutes.  The cakes should be very moist.  Cool slightly in the pans, then turn out and slice.

Serve warm, with warm Rum Sauce spooned over (microwaving for 15 seconds works great).

Rum Sauce

Mix in a heavy saucepan:
- 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 to 1 1/2 Tbs flour
Add 1/2 cup very hot water.  Cook over low heat till mixture becomes clear.
Stir in 1/2 tsp Rum Extract.

* for zapote pulp, blend pieces of peeled zapote with enough water to facilitate movement.  It will be creamy and fluffy.

This was originally a family recipe for persimmons.  I had been thinking about a fruit that would make a good replacement, and zapote was the first one I tried.  I'm also thinking that papaya would work.  I replaced half the nuts with shredded coconut, and replaced dates with raisins.  I'm not sure where to get rum extract in Costa Rica - lovely brother brought this from the states.  I will probably check Tips when I need more, since I know they have some flavorings.  Since I don't have a bundt cake pan, I halved the recipe for the experiment - I like how it turned out, so I will probably keep the loaf-pan approach.  Added pluses - I don't have to butter and flour the pan, and it bakes in about half the time.
Believe it or not, with the original nuts and dates, this would be a $30 cake!  Without persimmons! Now it is reasonable at about $6 and *tropical*  :-).

No comments: