Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Naranjilla Refresco



Another fruit to play with!!!

These are Naranjillas that I got at the Guadalupe Feria - they look and feel a bit like persimmons, so they are probably related. I asked La Señora what they were, and if they should be cooked (this is becoming my standard line at the Feria). She said to cook them with a bit of rice. I thought this meant that they were an interesting addition to food, and could be either sweet or savory, depending on the cooking method.

Well, I hadn't gotten around to cooking them yet, when I had an opportunity to grill someone else :-D. Here is what I came up with after *that* discussion. I asked my landlady to taste the end result, and she said it was pretty good, and seemed normal, "but then, I don't like things very sweet." Hmmm - I think that is "Tica" for "most people would want more sugar in it."

Naranjilla Refresco

6 naranjillas, diced (remove the stems, but don't bother peeling them)
1/2 cup granulated Splenda
1/2 cup uncoooked rice
7 cups water

Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes

Let cool slightly, then blend.
Strain into a pitcher, and refrigerate.
Makes 1 Qt

Notes:
- This is also good hot; I am betting that many people drink it that way.
- Try adding any or all of these: ginger, vanilla, more splenda, a bit of salt, coriander, another type of fruit (maybe pineapple?), and/or another seasoning.
- This comes out *very* thick! It is like a smoothy.
- Since these seem like persimmons, I might dig out my Mom's Persimmon Pudding (it's really a very moist cake) recipe and try it (with Rum sauce - Yum!). Always assuming I can figure out my Oven problem...

No comments: